PRSF New Music Biennial
30 June - 2 July (Hull), 7-9 July (London)
PRS Foundation’s New Music Biennial was an exciting and free new music festival which formed part of Hull 2017 UK City of Culture, presenting 20 pieces of new music across two festival weekends in Hull (30th June – 2nd July 2017) and at London’s Southbank Centre (7th – 9th July 2017). The New Music Biennial was broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
New Music Biennial presents new music across all genres, from classical and chamber opera, to jazz, folk and electronic. The aim is to reach new audiences for contemporary music and encourage ideas for short works no longer than 15 minutes duration which could be performed in a range of settings.
New Music Biennial aims to:
- celebrate and showcase the talent of the UK’s music sector and to raise the profile of composers from every part of the UK
- invest in excellent, new work which is performed more than once
- engage and inspire all kinds of audiences by commissioning and presenting new music in a dynamic and unusual way
- present a snapshot of the diverse and distinctive music which is created in the UK by composers at different stages of their career
- support organisations which are developing local and regional audiences for new music
- strengthen touring opportunities and working relationships between UK composers, commissioning bodies and performers
As part of the New Music Biennial 2017, J-Night commisisoned Manchester-based jazz trio GoGo Penuin to create As Above So Below, a new piece of music that pays tribute to pioneering film composer Basil Kirchin. The piece was premiered on Saturday 1 July in Fruït, as part of the New Music Biennial weekend in Hull and performed at the Southbank Centre in London on Saturday 8th July.
PRS Foundation’s New Music Biennial is generously supported by Hull UK City of Culture, Paul Hamlyn Foundation, Arts Council England, BBC Radio 3, Southbank Centre, Arts Council of Wales, Creative Scotland, Arts Council of Northern Ireland, Cockayne, The John S Cohen Foundation, the Jerwood Charitable Foundation, The Finzi Trust, RVW Trust, The Bliss Trust and NMC Recordings.
Sorry there are no upcoming events planned at the moment. Check again later or sign up to our mailing list to find out about future events.